Attached is my candidate statement in Word, also copied below.  I fear
not much has changed since my statement in 2014....in particular I would
have hoped that my dissertation would have been finished!! Soon
though....:-)

My resume is available to anyone who is interested.

Best regards

Stephanie Perrin

*Name:*  Stephanie Perrin
*Region of residence:*  Canada, North America
*Gender:*female
*Employment: *PhD candidate, retired federal public servant
*Conflicts of Interest: *none that I am aware of
*Reasons for willingness to take on the position:*

My candidate statement has not really changed from what I submitted in
2014.I still believe that ICANN is a wonderful experiment in
multistakeholder management of a key resource.  I still want it to work,
but after two years of hard work on Council and various PDPs I
understand the threats and challenges better.  I believe that my
experience and knowledge can be useful at ICANN. I am a hard worker and
a passionate advocate, and I would like to try to make a difference
here.  There is a great team at NCSG, many different characters with all
kinds of talents and skills, and I would be proud to represent them and
the non-commercial users we all represent at the GNSO.  I have a lot of
international experience, I understand key stakeholders like the GAC,
and I would love the challenge of trying to help find solutions for some
of the policy and procedural issues with which the GNSO struggles.

*Qualifications for the position:*

I have spent 30 years in the Canadian federal government, most of it in
the Department of Communications and the Department of Industry, in the
areas of telecom policy, and international trade in telecommunciations,
media and broadcasting, and intellectual property.   I worked in
Canada-US  trade and technology impact assessment, during the 90s when
the Internet was developed, and have broad experience working with
governments on e-commence.  I represented Canada at the OECD working
group on security and privacy for ten years, and was a vice-chair of the
group which developed cryptography policy guidelines. During the 90s, I
also worked for ten years on Canada's privacy standard (CAN/CSA-Q830-96)
and was Director of Privacy Policy responsible for turning that standard
into Canada's private sector privacy law.  After the law passed, I took
leave and went to work as Canada's first Chief Privacy Officer, for Zero
Knowledge Systems, a privacy enhancing technology company that developed
anonymous browsing and email software. I have also worked, back in
government, for six years in risk management, integrity, and values and
ethics.  I also was Director of Research and Policy at the federal
Office of the Privacy Commissioner, and worked to steer the office to
examine Internet issues, including the ICANN WHOIS issues of the day
(2005-7). I have done a lot of public speaking, and believe I can
intervene effectively to represent you.  I am fluent in English and French.

This experience is very relevant to the policy issues I see at ICANN,
for the following reasons:

·ICANN is at an inflection point in terms of its maturity.  It needs to
mature and develop better risk management, better accountability and
values and ethics, and better compliance with human rights law.  I think
my practical government experience in these areas could be useful.

·There are serious privacy issues at ICANN, and a lack of expertise.
This is my principal area of expertise, and I have a keen desire to
contribute and to make things better.

·During 2013-2014 I worked on the Experts Working Group on directory
services for new gTLDs, (WHOIS replacement) where I learned quite a lot
about the issues behind this key debate.  I have now joined the GNSO/RDS
PDP where it is critical to have someone who understands the EWG report,
as it is clearly the template for future work.

·During the past two years I worked on the working group on
accreditation of Privacy Proxy Services, and on the working group on
policy and implementation as well as the working group looking at WHOIS
conflicts with law.. I also worked on the GNSO Review team, and prepared
detailed comments on the outside examiners report.I have monitored all
the CCWG work on the IANA transition, and I regularly review budget reports.

·Again, my government policy and management experience, and the many
years that I have volunteered on standards development groups and shadow
groups have, I think, given me insight into these processes that has
proven useful.

*Statement of availability for the time the position required: *

I am no longer working fulltime, and my studies are focused on issues
related to ICANN.  I therefore have abundant time to devote to ICANN
work, particularly the GNSO.  Over the past two years I have devoted
approximately half my work week to ICANN.

*Additional information: *

I am studying at the Information School of the University of Toronto.  I
am writing my PhD dissertationon why ICANN has refused to adopt privacy
policy or law.  I have spent my career either applying law or developing
solutions, including technology and law, so my return to school is
largely to satisfy that hunger to understand things at a more
theoretical level.  I continue to work to also fix that problem, and get
some practical implementation of commonly accepted privacy policies at
ICANN.This is my focus in much of the PDP work I have done, because
there is a lot happening on privacy issues, but it is certainly not my
only area of interest.It is important that we pace our work to avoid
burnout, but I am also keenly interested in attracting new talent to
work at ICANN, and in mentoring.

Thanks for your attention.

Stephanie Perrin