Hi Sam,

> Carlos and Paul,
>
> I am just opening up discussion here. In response to Carlos' question,
> individuals get 1 vote, small organizations get 2 votes, and large
> organizations get 4 votes. Organizations cannot spread their votes, they
> are all assigned to a single candidate when a vote is placed. It does mean
> however that an individual can join NCSG as an individual, and as the
> representative of an organization. With quick look at the membership
> spreadsheet I was able to identify at least two of our colleagues who have
> 5 votes each. [*Note: the membership list includes some memberships that
> should be deleted (through withdrawal, or demise of the individual or the
> organization) but they cannot and did not vote so no harm on that front*
> ].  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o0n2H5xkTPmon8K8wbFg
> 0dAZTouHWgkWjcyNsSs_YXw/edit#gid=0
> This is why we are working on an improved NCSG/NCUC/NPOC membership
> management process at the moment.

maybe to clarify this: as you noticed already there are few cases. What
happened is that usually a person joined NCSG as individual first and
encouraged his organization to join later on  or that s/he joined  as
individual member afterwards to keep being involved after leaving his
organization and continuing to be involved in ICANN.

the NCSG Executive committee review such applications case per case and
make decision (e.g. many staff of same organization trying to join and that
is covered in the charter)

from the NCSG charter:

*3. An Individual who is employed by or a member of a non-member
noncommercial organization (universities, colleges, large NGOs) can join
NCSG in his or her individual capacity if their organization has not
already joined the NCSG. The Executive Committee shall, at its discretion,
determine limits to the total number of Individual members who can join
from any single organization (provided the limit shall apply to all
Organizations, of the same size category, equally).*

*An individual who is a member of or employee of a noncommercial
organization, which is itself a member of the NCSG, may apply for, or
retain membership, in the NCSG only under the first criteria for individual
membership, i.e. be an individual noncommercial registrant. Such membership
is subject to Executive Committee review.*

> Do the representatives of large organizations, with their 4 votes, poll
> their organizations to see how they should vote? I don't know. Is it better
> for large organizations to have 4 votes, or to recruit more members
> (hopefully engaged in NCSG work) to carry more weight? Worth discussing. As
> it is, any organization (or clique of individuals) could stage a
> "registration arms race" as you put it. As comment around the election
> said, NCSG needs more worker bees (Stephanie Perrin's term) and certainly
> doesn't need registration arms race drones. Not taking a position here.
> Just asking.

organization members have 1 main representative who is the only one to get
the ballot and vote, they can have also an alternate or secondary
representative in the list or not. few organizations asked  to get few
additional staff to be add to the NCSG list as observers when they want to
get more involved and participate. unfortunately, it is a rare case (we
need more folks participating).

as per the charter, we have already some guidance with the "registration
arms race" case. I don't see why the weighted vote should be linked to
number of representatives.

regarding representatives polling their organizations, I think as you are
representative for CSIH you may give insight on how you are doing that
currently. at the end it is an internal decision within the organization
and NCSG EC can only check that the representative belongs to the
organization or not during check-in process or representative replacement.

Best,

Rafik

Sam Lanfranco