All,

Here is my brief comment from the Cross-Community Working Group on Accountability, where Bruce Tonkin posted the text from: https://www.icann.org/iana-stewardship-questions

Bruce, This is the formal evidence and logic based ICANN contribution to clarity here. That helps but the risk is that the IANA Transition will become a political football in the final days of the U.S. election. At that point evidence and logic will hold little sway against media "sound bites"  that may well be completely false. The hope is that the parties to the election have bigger issues to deal with. If this becomes an issue there will be nothing ICANN can do in the immediate time frame, but there would be important lessons for ICANN to learn with regard to an ongoing strategy of global internet governance education.

Actually, going forward ICANN, working with its stakeholders, should address this challenge even if the issue does not become media sound bites in the next couple of weeks. Accountability, like open data, should include knowledge translation to inform and educate all. [Sorry, as an academic I succumbed to a Saturday lecture here, but I do know what it means to talk over people's heads, we (and ICANN) do it all the time, with poor results ]

Sam L.