Hello everybody

Here is an update on the ccwg-IG group in which I represent NCSG.

A statement: CCWG-IG recently drafted a statement which related to proposals currently being discussed at the World Telecommunications Standardization (WTSA 16).

CCWG-IG wrote the statement in response to a proposal by the African Telecommunication Union regarding the use of geographic names in generic to level domains. The objective of the statement was to remind WTSA participants that matters regarding geographic domain names is within ICANN mission and it is to be resolved in a bottom-up manner. The statement was sent to chartering organizations.
I also took part in drafting the statement and made some comments. It is attached.

F2F meeting in Hyderabad : CCWG-IG will have an F2F meeting in Hyderabad. It will meet with the Board IG WG. It will also discuss CCWG-IG activities and perhaps invites GNSO Council chair to discuss some matters.

High-interest session of CCWG-IG: The high-interest session will have two segments, one segment focuses on Internet fragmentation, the other focuses on various Internet governance related groups at the United Nations.

The ccwg-IG and GNSO Council:  As it has been brought up on the NCSG list, GNSO Council has a motion to withdraw from CCWG-IG. This is in light of the current uniform framework for CCWG life cycles which GNSO Council has approved. https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ccwg-framework-principles-draft-19feb16-en.pdf

If you look at the principles, the CCWG-IG charter does not fit the recommendations and principles, one reason is that  its mandate is based on a continuous mission not a one off mission.What we need to do is to perhaps change the CCWG-IG charter and implement it better, and make the group focus on certain issues throughout the year as well as having F2F meetings and high interest panels.

I hope this is helpful. Please look at ICANN schedule o find out the timing of the CCWG-IG sessions.

Best

--
Farzaneh

--