Having been involved in an intersessional I found it personally useful.
But in terms overall outcomes, and given the time and expenses involved,
I too think they are not needed.
We could just as easily draft a focused online intersessional agenda and
time frame, and achieve better results at lower costs and with wider
participation.

Lastly, I left the misspelling of intersessional in the Subject: line
just to maintain the thread.
Intercessional is the wrong word here, it usually refers a prayer on
behalf of someone else.
On second thought, on behalf of ICANN maybe it is the right word :-\.

Sam L.