Ayden,

Thanks for the reminder on what has been done already here. I agree, the
data is there. Use it. I just have one quick comment to add.

As one who has watched processes engaged in policy development, or
mission discussions, by hoards of stakeholders operating across a wide
range of areas related to socio-economic development and social justice,
almost every discussion reaches a consensus on one thing, the need for
more education for those at the end of the process (consumers) or base
of the pyramid (poor, marginalized, unconnected, whatever). In short,
one consensus outcome is always "they need more education..to become
more aware...either in their self interest...or (in ICANN) to become
"worker bees". Almost without exception the process stops with the
observation/call for more education. In the rare instances where it does
take place and success occurs, the lessons seldom go viral and failure
(the main outcome) usually generates a call for more monitoring and
evaluation (M&E), then more M&E, research and learning (MERL), and now
more MERL and innovation (MERLIN). I have no doubt that the
gnso-rds-pdp-wg will produce a consensus policy recommendation. It will
quite likely call for more education, but that train seldom leaves the
station.

Sam L.

On 2/22/2017 8:00 AM, Ayden Férdeline wrote:
> Between 2014 and 2016 (I do not know if this is an ongoing exercise),
> ICANN commissioned Nielsen to measure the attitudes of the general
> public towards the domain name system. The surveys were administered
> in 18 languages, and Internet users globally were asked their opinions
> and perceptions on different activities within ICANN's remit. Rather
> than re-invent the wheel polling end-users (aside from the fact that I
> do not think we have the resources ourselves to obtain a
> representative sample of end-users, I think this might be something
> At-Large should be doing), I would suggest that we look more closely
> at the data from these Nielsen studies, and perhaps try to influence
> future questions that are asked. There's some helpful data here
> already. It's how we /know/ in the Next-Generation Registration
> Directory Service Policy Development Process working group, for
> instance, that consumers have no idea what WHOIS is or that it
> contains personal data — before we introduced this data, some other
> stakeholder groups made the claim that consumers were fully aware of
> what was within WHOIS and used it to religiously to authenticate a
> website before making a purchase... the arguments of these
> stakeholders have not gone away and have instead morphed into a desire
> for more consumer education on WHOIS, but the point remains, we have
> great data at our disposal already which we can use to influence
> discussions — we just have to use it.
>
> Ayden Férdeline
> linkedin.com/in/ferdeline <http://www.linkedin.com/in/ferdeline>

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: [log in to unmask]   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852