Hello NCSG and NCUC members.

Thanks to everyone who was able to attend this week’s briefing on ICANN’s Remote Data Request System (RDRS).

After an introduction by Wisdom, Kathy provided background and was followed by a presentation by Ms. Diana Middleton of ICANN. The session then invited Ms. Sarah Wyld and Ms. Reg Levy, both from the registrar Tucows, to offer their perspective.

The purpose of the session was to gather facts and provide an opportunity for members of the non-commercial community to learn about the RDRS, both from the perspective of ICANN and the point of view of a registrar.

The presenters shared a lot of information about the RDRS and the processes. I attached the slides from the ICANN presentation as well as the latest ICANN RDRS statistics report.

I have put here some (not all!) of the points presented, and I encourage anyone who attended (or reviewed the transcript) to add anything important that would be useful to share.

ICANN publishes a monthly report with RDRS statistics. The second report covers from the period from inception to January 31, and is attached, but it can also be found at: https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rdrs-usage-metrics-16feb24-en.pdf.

Some interesting statistics:

All members are invited to join a follow-up session scheduled for Monday, February 26 at 15:00 UTC. This is intended to be an informal opportunity for community members to discuss the information provided and to identify any further questions to follow-up with ICANN for information that might be useful.

Thanks again to all who participated with special thanks to our speakers, Diana Middleton from ICANN and Sarah Wyld and Reg Levy from Tucows, as well as our own Kathy Kleiman, who provided the necessary background and Wisdom who ably acted as Master of Ceremony for the event. Also, we are grateful to Andrea or arranging the Zoom link and keeping track of questions in the chat. She posted the link to the recording for those interested but could not attend.

Ken