Weldone Farz
You may wish to add or reshare the survey link on item 5 after the readout.
Thanks as always

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024, 07:25 farzaneh badii, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi all

Here are my rough and brief notes about ICANN 79. I don’t follow all the issues, so if others want to expand or add to anything or correct something please do chime in:

NCUC ICANN read out

Starting with the board meeting : we have our board meetings at the NCSG level.

  1. we talked about Human Rights Impact Assessment and asked the board to consider doing HRIA on its resolutions. They said we should show them how! So we should.
  2. We talked about having a crisis report and an info page when the status of the transfer and operations of a ccTLD is unknown. The response was a bit bizarre and in way not very clear. But seems like IANA will issue a report about a few cases.
….
  1. DNS abuse contract amendment and what we want to see (for us, qualitative indicators such as due process and prevention of rights infringement take priority and our success measure is not just how much abuse (which is not really possible to measure) has gone down but how just the abuse mitigation measures have been
  2. RDRS: rdrs is the triage system that stakeholders use to file requests to have access to domain name registrants personal sensitive data. It’s a voluntary system and there is a standing committee that wants to help with understanding the system better and improve it. We have to closely monitor this group as sometimes some ideas might be raised in the group that could have an impact on people’s privacy, civil liberties etc
  3. Attended the GAC open mic, raised issues with the confidentiality of law enforcement requests for RDRS, also mentioned RVCs should not violate human rights
  4. New gTLDs (sub pro) and Registry voluntary commitments : we can’t have ICANN enforce RVCs that regulate content, conduct and services online. It’s against the bylaws. We can’t have RVCs that could impact freedom of expression and other human rights.
  5. Board seat 14: we have a team to work on improving the processes to appoint the board member (i shared a survey on ncsg list)

Farzaneh