Hi Julf, Amin,

This is, indeed, a delicate issue and this is why I was thinking of adopting it as a good practice, but not as something imperative (more of a recommendation, and not a behavior standard). I think that, especially for newcomers, it is all right to start their path within NCSG/NCUC/NPOC with these short e-mails that essentially demonstrate they are following the discussions with interest and that they particularly agree with a specific opinion.

But, after a few weeks/months, after knowing our community a little better, probably we shouldn't stimulate this, because that has the potential to harm the rest of the community - especially those who adopt an inbox zero strategy and/or leave unread tasks that are still not completed. The main reason I'm sending this message is essentially to achieve this objective: letting others who are surely in good faith and have the best intentions know that a larger number of "thanks" and "+1" messages can become an issue to others.

The need for more informal interaction is usually solved through Telegram/Whatsapp groups, but I'm not sure if this would be a good strategy for our community, especially because with time people could start moving relevant discussions there, and this would be undesirable. On the other side, a mailing list just for informal interactions tends to be abandoned in no time. Maybe reserving 5 minutes at the beginning of our NCSG/NCUC/NPOC calls that have a wider participation, so newcomers can introduce themselves and talk about their interests, could stimulate the participation of those who are timid or are not at ease with speaking/writing in English?

PS, to Julf: I was also confused with the contradiction related to elections on the chapter leaders list and loved the idea someone suggested a few months ago to create a separate list for that kind of interaction. I also hope someday that proposal goes through

Cordially,

Pedro de Perdigão Lana
Lawyer, GEDAI/UFPR Researcher
PhD Candidate (UFPR), LLM in Business Law (UCoimbra)
Board Member @ CC Brasil, ISOC BR and IODA
This message is restricted to the sender and recipient(s). If received by mistake, please reply informing it.

Em qua., 17 de abr. de 2024 às 07:29, Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]> escreveu:
Hi Pedro,

> Within ISOC's Code of Conduct, we can find a very useful and interesting
> prescription:/"*Only send a message to the entire list if everyone can
> benefit from it*. Do not send “thank you” and “me too” replies to the
> full list"./

I do find it rather ironic, considering the ISOC chapter leaders lists
are flooded with congratulations every time a chapter announced election
results (something that typically occurs once a year for each chapter).

> Considering the growing number of messages that end up filling our
> mailboxes here in the NCSG community, I would kindly like to suggest,
> and check if others agree, that we also adopt this as a good practice.
> This is not the same as saying that we should not promote these nice
> gestures of recognizing others' work and good ideas, but only that these
> messages would be better directed only to the person who will surely
> appreciate them, not to the whole list.

Thank you for bringing this up - I haven't wanted to do that as I know
it can be a cultural thing, and I am culturally doubly biased (coming
from Finland that has a pretty minimalist/efficient communication
culture, and being a geek/techie). There is definitely a place for
the congratulations and welcomes, but perhaps we need separate lists
for the social stuff and for the admin/policy stuff?

On that note, it is also nice to have people say hello and where they
are from in the chat on the NCSG calls, but I think the right place
for that is in the few minutes in the beginning before the actual agenda
gets going. Once a discussion is ongoing, a sudden "Hello from
Reykjavik" can disrupt the flow of discussion.

        Julf