Print

I asked for help a few weeks ago about a turbo pump A malfunction error on
an old HP 4500 ICP-MS.

Johan Scijf has graciously offered to donate to the cause but I wanted to
try and make sure that it was in fact the turbo pump before I had him dig
around on the inside of his. We were having a slight oil leak in one of
the rotary pumps so I wanted to get that fixed to make sure that it wasn't
actually the problem. After repairing the rotary pump, the problem still
persists.

So this is what basically happens when you try to pump the instrument
down. The Vacum (BK) starts to pump down and then there is a click and you
hear the spin of the turbo pump which immediately sounds as if it is
slowing down and when it sounds as if it has come to a stop the error
message comes up on the screen. I am guessing that since the turbo pump
turns on that the controller is not the problem and it is really the pump
but this is not very scientifically based theory so if anyone out there
has any more technical ways to test this, I am all ears.

As always, many thanks for all of your help.

John Allen
Analytical Chemist I
Philadelphia Water Department
Bureau of Laboratory Services