Print

Wow, that's interesting. I'm not an expert in diagenesis or similar processes either, however I wonder how you can differentiate between those isotope compositions you're mentioning. I mean, unless you can clearly separate one mineral from another, or an overgrowth, for instance, or be sure that your leaching procedure only removes one Sr from the inner one, without mixing, then I would not trust such techniques.
Now, once again, it depends from your material, but if the different zoning are large enough, say in the order of tenth of microns at least, then LAICPMS would probably be enough powerful. You can sample each zone in a polished sample, with quite good spatial resolution. At least for concentrations, that method works quite well. I don't know the resolution for isotopes, however I suspect that with LA-MC-ICPMS you should be able to have a pretty good resolution too.

Luigi

On Dec 15, 2010, at 5:40 PM, Juan Carlos Silva Tamayo wrote:

> Dear List members
>
> Thanks a lot for all your messages.. I am interested on the leaching step as I
> do not want the lithogenic Sr to be mix with the autigenic (carbonate bund) Sr.
> This in order to discriminate the Sr isotope composition signals from seawater,
> diagenesis and detrital.  I will contact all seprartely those who have offered
> the different options to try to find out the best methods vs prices options.
>
> All best and once again thanks for your help
>
> Juan Carlos

Dr. Luigi Solari
UNAM, Centro de Geociencias
Campus Juriquilla