From:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 14:41:00 +0100
I really like Michael's suggestion:

> Could we ask the representatives more generally about how they develop
> their policy positions, and whether and how they consult with human
> rights/privacy/data protection voices in government, or with domestic
> NGOs or civil society voices, in formulating the policy positions that
> they bring to ICANN - maybe phrasing the question a bit more broadly
> than just asking directly about the RPMs. I feel like this might need
> to be approached delicately, but it may be a good question to get the
> GAC delegates themselves to reconsider...

W§e have to remember that a lot of GAC members are fairly junior,
pretty new to ICANN, and not always very well briefed. They also
often biased to see GNSO as "A club of domain industry lobbyists with
a small group of free speech academics". I think it would be good to
point out that we speak on behalf of civil society in their countries
too, and encourage the GAC members, as representatives of their
governments, to extend the sphere of people they talk to and seek
advice from.

	Julf