From:
Cintra Sooknanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cintra Sooknanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 20:37:22 -0400
Sorry to miss the call today.

As Marie-laure mentioned the EWG did have a session with NPOC in Durban. At
that meeting I raised two issues relating to the jurisdictional facets of
personal data (proposed to be moved to and reposed in the database):
- the lack of user choice on the jurisdiction that their personal data is
held (as they may not even be aware of the location of the database or
applicable data protection laws)
- the inability of the user to recourse for misuse of or choice over the
level of protection of their data (as the data is held by a third party,
likely away from the jurisdiction of their local courts or laws, and
require prohibitively expensive costs and measures to be taken to
facilitate the user's choice).

I think it is also important that we make the point that an independent
database does not circumvent the Registrar's duty to obtain and maintain
accurate records but rather acts as a redundancy to this system.

It is absolutely crucial that we weigh in the impact of the EWG proposals
from different angles and I welcome further discussion on and off list.

Regards

Cintra Sooknanan