From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 20:41:01 +0200
Yes, clicking them is indeed reasonably safe.

But they are not unproblematic: besides issues already mentioned, they
mean proofpoint can see whenever they're clicked and can collect
potentially sensitive information about people. (I don't know if they
actually do.)

But the archive problem Ayden brought up is perhaps most critical.
Those links will rather obviously break when Proofpoint dies, one
way or another, and there's little ICANN can do about it.

A technical solution should be possible: unmunge the links in archives.
Even better if it could be done by the mailing list software before
even sending the mails to list subscribers.

That is not entirely trivial, however. For archives it should be
doable with a moderate effort; I may give it a go at some point.

--
Tapani Tarvainen