From:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2016 16:41:01 +0000
3) The risk, of course, is that once in place as voluntary, down the road it
gets converted to mandatory.

I am glad it is not mandatory, because as far as I am aware it is not mandatory
to have a Facebook or Twitter account. However, if this proposal proceeds it
seems an inevitable consequence that, in time, this will transition from being
an optional field to one which is compulsory to complete.
I do, however, have a useless Google+ account somewhere out in the ether. I
guess I can put that down on the form once this question becomes compulsory . But I suppose this is the problem; the 'benefit' from this intrusive exercise
is nearly nil, because no one is going to list on a voluntary questionnaire any
social media profiles that could get themselves into trouble. And I very much
doubt that this government agency has the competence or expertise to analyse the
information they are seeking to collect.
IMHO proposals like this one, that seek to pry into people's affiliations or
internal beliefs, do nothing to make the United States or any other country
safer. Rather, they erode international respect for US core values and do grave
damage to US interests. This proposal simply impinges on the US' own principles
of freedom of association and of expression which are guaranteed, at least for
US citizens, in the Constitution.
- Ayden