From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:00:23 -0400
Renata,

Just a short comment here. "Political Will" is a term that can easily be
misunderstood. There are structural issues in Cuba, but this is not the
place for that discussion. While in Havana I cited the successful
Transition Estonia digital/Internet strategy. Estonia stressed that
political will includes clarity on the principles to be
advanced/protected, as well as abandoning what the Estonians called
"legacy thinking" and not just "legacy technology". Myanmar's recent
transition from near zero access to over 50% (cell) access was also
cited as a strategy for blending the interests of the old telecom system
with the new realities of cellular networks. The bottom lines is that
Political will has to embrace more than the why and what. Political will
also has to embrace open space to explore how to execute the how. It is
important to note that the Estonian transition was developed from within
and not imported from outside, while benefiting from lessons learned
elsewhere.

Sam L.

/