From:
DeeDee Halleck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
DeeDee Halleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Feb 2016 08:46:16 -0500
I agree with Klaus that “broad stakeholder engagement” is needed. I have
attempted to discuss ICANN with my colleagues (independent/community media
producers and communications academics) but hit a wall of glazed-over eyes
when trying to explain the importance of DNS regulation.
I was surprised at the recently expressed hostility towards Net Mundial. At
the very least the Brazilian initiative was a successfully wide-reaching
example of a global discussion of internet governance via historic use of
technology for interactive exchange.
One obvious problem in “non-commercial” participation is the lack of
adequate support for the cost of face to face participation. Of course
commercial entities can afford to ensure their strong involvement! How can
civil society representatives become more than the ignored token 1%? That
is the question.

The burgeoning ICANN budget has increased ICANN staff (certainly an
incentive that lead to the opening of more domains) but has not enabled
more non-commercial (and diverse) participation.

Even if I had the frequent flier miles to get to Marrakech, how could I
afford the posh hotels available?
DeeDee

--
http://www.deepdishwavesofchange.org