From:
Karel Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karel Douglas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2015 22:02:01 -0400
Thanks Rafik, Good points Remmy , Michael et al.

This is actually very important for accountability!

Does the DIDP have a robust appeal process? is it an appeal to an external
organisation or can one appeal the ICANN ombudsman? Is the
ombudsman empowered to make such decisions? And if so does the ICANN
executive really have to listen to him or anybody as a matter of fact. What
sanctions are there for non-compliance? Do proper reasons need to be
furnished to applicants who are refused information?

I agree that going to Court is time consuming, extremely expensive and
exhausting -  moreover it may not be an option as the jurisdiction of ICANN
( incorporated in USA) will pose a real problem to many (international
persons) and bringing actions by non-resident persons in the USA can be a
hassle.

The bottom line is that FOIA is one of the most powerful ways to ensure
transparency and accountability in an organisation. A DIDP policy that does
not allow for a fast and independent appeal of a refusal to disclose
information will mean that the DIDP policy is of no value. The DIDP policy
should be designed on a default position that information is disclosable
with certain classes of documents to be considered exempt from disclosure (
but available is the / a public interest test is meet).

Let me quickly add that I have not yet seen or read the DIDP policy thus my
comments are predicated solely on best practice. I should add that I've
done many FOIA court matters ( High Court and Court of Appeal) and my
dissertation for my masters in Law (LLM) in Telecommunications and IT Law
was on the FOIA.

Best regards

Karel DOUGLAS