From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2015 19:07:05 -0400
Edward,

Thanks for the further information for this NCSG discussion. Today I
checked with our not-for-profits law firm and the issue of elected
boards, citizenship, etc. is even more muddy here than I first thought.
It is the case (here) that the entire board must be elected by the
membership if the NGO is membership-based and not just membership
supported/engaged (i.e., no positions appointed by the board or reserved
for constituencies). But, non-profit incorporation does not require that
all board members be citizens. However, there are other regulations
where most (80%) of the board must be citizens to qualify for tax-exempt
status.

Whatever the case for ICANN, /"clarifying the various options available
to us" /is essential for a dialogue focused on viable options "/as we
turn ICANN into a truly accountable organization"/

Thanks,

Sam