From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:26:24 -0400
Ayden,

Thanks for your comments and questions. I will be brief. Without some
consensus around what the NCSG Policy Committee's deliverables should be
there can be no measures of performance. Part of what has been done in
the past is for the PC pull together comments for NCSG to submit on
ICANN policy documents during ICANN comment periods. As good as that has
been, it has been very ad hoc, and frequently with inadequate time for
wider NCSG input to comments. There needs to be a polite discussion here
of what the PC should do, within the constraints of doable tasks.

As for were I got stymied,it was on proposals to get wider constituency
engagement during the comment periods toward the end of the policy
development process. Criticism was well intended and said the push
should be for early engagement in the PDPs and WGs, and not engagement
toward the end of the policy process. I saw late engagement as an
opening strategy to that end, and strategies at both ends are not
mutually exclusive. It now appears that ICANN itself is now pushing for
more constituency engagement in the comment periods toward the end of
the policy process.

The key challenge remains how to cultivate earlier, deeper and broader
engagement in ICANN's multistakeholder constituency processes. That
challenge goes well beyond the scope and focus of the Policy Committees,
and is part of ongoing NCSG/NCUC/NPOC discussions in their own right. I
suspect that the phrase "one-on-one mentoring" might creep into that
discussion.

Sam L, NPOC/csih

/