From:
Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2016 12:29:25 -0400
I abstained from expressing a view on the matter of HR in the bylaws,
for reasons which I discussed openly with all councillors and NCSG
participants on the CCWG for some time.  (Anyone can be forgiven for not
noticing, as the traffic about the transition was overwhelming in its
volume and pace.)  I was concerned that the language was broad and would
invite various parties to campaign for content regulation at ICANN,
something I am strongly opposed to.  However, it was a very difficult
point to explain concisely so I feared expressing dissent on HR in the
bylaws would be misconstrued as a lack of support for human rights.  IN
my view, trying to make the point in public at council would have sown
confusion, and possibly been used against my colleagues who are working
so hard on the human rights issues (notably you Niels!)

I think it is important to point out here that disagreement on issues is
very healthy.  Niels and I come from cultures where we can have frank
and open disagreement without taking matters personally.  This is not
the case in all cultures, where open dissent is not considered
respectful. Somehow, we have to harmonize on ways of doing business in
NCSG, and I would like to stress that even if it is uncomfortable for
some folks, having a robust discussion with our peers is necessary for
this multi-stakeholder approach to work.  I personally don't like
surprises, I expect my colleagues to share information about their
positions and activities.

Stephanie Perrin