From:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:58:27 -0800
A further response from NMI Secretariat. In it they state that we can evaluate all Coordination Council applicants and make recommendations to the Transitional Council, and it seems our recommendations will be accepted unless someone else purports to be representative of civil society and they accept that – in which case, we get to discuss with them alternative assessments to ours.  So they do retain some decisional authority but it might not be exercised or be enough to matter to some people.

There is also the issue of ICANN expanding its purely technical mandate into non-technical policy matters, and grasping for more solid footing as a global governance regime.  Unless ICANN expands its mission beyond domain names, what power will it have in the world in 30 years when domain names are irrelevant?  And how will the pairing of ICANN and WEF drive those policy issues within the initiative?

I don't personally have a strong opinion on whether NCSG and CSCG should participate, but will take back to CSCG whatever position this group settles on.  And a variety of further opinions is welcome!

Thanks,
Robin