From:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:08:13 +0200
Hi

Would it be useful to start a discussion with them now rather than waiting about how the civil society and other non-“DNS industry" components of ICANN should be organized and ‘heard' in GNSO and beyond, given the upheaval we will experience with swarms of new contracted parties and other changes afoot.  After all, this is fairly fundamental to our collective ability to influence policy and be more than multistakeholder window dressing.  Or is there a strategic argument for holding off on this until later?

Bill

On Jun 2, 2014, at 7:51 PM, Marilia Maciel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It think it makes sense to mainstream at least one of our privacy related concerns at the meeting with the board. If nothing else, it serves as a political re-statement of our decision to mainstream this topic.
> Marília
>

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Rafik Dammak <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi Kathy,
>
> Thank you very much, adding your suggestion to the list of proposals.
>
> Rafik

> Hi Rafik,
>
> I think we should talk with them about why the Trademark Clearinghouse is accepting "design marks" when it is only allowed to accept "word marks" as part of the Intellectual Property trademark registration process. I would also like to know why ICANN has spent time and money galore advertising the "rights protection mechanisms" of the New gTLDs but has not spent a second or a cent explaining what a URS action is, and how a Registrant can respond to a URS notice.
>
> We spent a lot of time putting fairness and balance into the URS, but if no one teaches what it is or the broad defenses that exist, it is as if the balance we worked so hard for does not exist. Registrants around the world are left unprotected.
>
> Tx,
> Kathy:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> as usual we will have 1 hour meeting with the board and they need topics we want to discuss in advance.
> can you please share what you think we should discuss with them. then we will make a short topics list.
> please write a brief introduction of the topic.
>
> as starter I think we can have:
> 1/ IANA stewardship transition process
> 2/ ICANN accountability process
> Best Regards,
>
> Rafik
>

> ---
>

> --
> Marília Maciel
> Pesquisadora Gestora - Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade - FGV Direito Rio
> Researcher and Coordinator - Center for Technology & Society - FGV Law School
> http://direitorio.fgv.br/cts
>
> DiploFoundation associate - www.diplomacy.edu
> PoliTICs Magazine Advisory Committee - http://www.politics.org.br/
> Subscribe "Digital Rights: Latin America & the Caribbean" - http://www.digitalrightslac.net/en

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer
  University of Zurich, Switzerland
  ICANN, www.ncuc.org
[log in to unmask] (direct), [log in to unmask] (lists),
  www.williamdrake.org