From:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Avri Doria <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:49:13 +0400
Hi,

This is the current draft of the cross community working group for IANA
stewardship transition (CWG-Stewardship).  There are a few more sections
that need to be completed before it goes out for ICANN community review.

Some of the issues under active discussion include:

- The scope of issues that the Customer Standing Committee can raise for
escalation:
  Ie. is it just Registry SLA issues or does it include other issues like:
  -- security and stability issues
  -- root server stability issues
  -- inconsistencies between established policy and IANA implementation

- How often does the Multistakeholder Periodic review team need to meet
and what is its scope.  E.g is it the decsion maker on new contracts.

- What sort of entity is the Company Co..  I.e. Is it a staffless
volunteer entity  that  decides/signs the contract with the IANA
function operators, or it a minimal entity with an administrator or two
that is responsible for neutral administering the contract and perhaps a
few other details like, e,g, the Root Zone Management Process
Administrator as that is a clerical staff function.

- Is there a regular open bid (RFP) for the IANA contract on a cycle of
a per-determend number of years.  Or is there a presumption of renewal
and an RFP is only issue in the case of a substantial failure by the
operator.

- Who has standing to take an issue to the Independent Appeals Panel?

- is the functional division on pages 25-26 and pictured on page 32
(mentioned above) the accepted split?

- At this point there seems to be an acceptance that whatever the
process, the IANA function will remain with ICANN at least for now.

Over the next few days we will be discussing these issues and completing
the uncompleted sections.  It will then go out for review.

As always happy to get comments.  NCSG has several participants who have
been quite active in the process including Amr, Matt, Milton with me as
the formal member.

The CWG-Stewardship wiki is at:
<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocwgdtstwrdshp/CWG+to+Develop+an+IANA+Stewardship+Transition+Proposal+on+Naming+Related+Functions>