From:
Rebecca MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rebecca MacKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2009 22:19:35 +0800
Andrew, yes, Google is a founding member of the Global Network Initiative
and is working with GNI to develop a human rights assessment process for
Internet companies and hopefully the ICT sector more broadly. Perhaps ICANN
staff might be more willing to listen to GNI members Google, Yahoo, and
Microsoft than to non-commercial users.

Milton, glad you like the idea. If our GNSO councilors are interested in
bringing this up through the GNSO, or if anybody participating in the
various working groups wants to use the GNI principles on privacy and free
expression as a benchmark for whether basic standards are being met on that
front please let me know what other contacts/info you need.

Meanwhile I will plan to submit something with this suggestion in the DAG
public comments as well.

Cheers,
Rebecca

--
IMPORTANT: My Hong Kong University e-mail ([log in to unmask]) will stop working
in January. Please use my gmail instead (see below).

Rebecca MacKinnon
Open Society Fellow | Co-founder, GlobalVoicesOnline.org
Assistant Professor, Journalism & Media Studies Centre, University of Hong
Kong

UK: +44-7759-863406
USA: +1-617-939-3493
HK: +852-6334-8843