From:
Marc Perkel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc Perkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:56:24 -0700

On 3/21/2011 4:38 PM, Joly MacFie wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Marc Perkel <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     He has one point I agree with. Why should .XXX cost more than .COM ?
>

> Why not?
>
> They certainly have higher costs in terms of diligence. And they do
> have years of litigation to recoup, and, um, I think there are few
> more .com registrations.
>
> One comment in another thread made me chuckle about the irony of the
> phrase "intellelctual property" when applied to smut.
>

> BTW I have posted an illustrated version of the board vote at
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidaDxIH_8I
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YidaDxIH_8I&NR=1>

The question about why to charge more isn't "why not" but "why". Why
should one kind of business be charged more that another. What you refer
to as "smut" is human reproduction without which none of us would be
here. We all owe our very existence to "smut".

There is indeed intellectual property associated with "smut". Good porn
is not easy to produce and those people work hard for their money. I
don't see the difference between that and any other subject matter
covered under copyright law. I personally own adult intellectual
property, although it's not porn. It's instructional information.

I personally don't see sex as less moral that drilling for oil, running
a nuclear power plant, manufacturing guns, or any other business that
some people disagree on moral issues. And I thought we were against
ICANN becoming the moral police.

The way I see it there has to be a reason for charging more for .xxx and
that reason has to be based in some sort of reality and such a test
needs to be applied to other similar domains. Also - I don't see the
moral difference between these domain names:

sluts.com
sluts.xxx

I don't understand the diligence and cost of litigation argument.

Also in my view .xxx makes life easier. The .xxx people don't want kids
and Christians wasting their bandwidth. I think there is a right to have
porn and a right to avoid porn. The .xxx is sort of a truth in labeling
issue that helps both seekers and avoiders of porn. It's not a final
solution. I wouldn't ever want to see laws requiring adult content to
have an .xxx listing. But if more of it moved there it would help both
sides. Charging more for .xxx helps defeat the purpose of having .xxx in
the first place.