Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 22:59:18 -0500
I agree. The SCI is the proper place to review the process issue, both as to how to handle the resubmission of a previously-defeated motion (on whatever basis) as well as the question of whether current GNSO rules and procedures properly govern the conflict of interest (CoI) problem.

What the SCI *CANNOT* do is change the substance of a GNSO Council decision and vote. Thus, even if the SCI considers the action taken by the Council illegitimate, the SCI cannot undo the vote. What happens then?

It seems to me that by NOT waiting on the SCI's recommendation, the Council has set up a potential situation of delicacy for both the SCI and itself, and should the SCI determine that proper process was not followed, a further problem as to explaining the mess to the Board, the GAC and the community.

I'd support an NCSG statement.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Director, Franklin Pierce Center for IP
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAW
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: [log in to unmask]