From:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Timothe Litt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2013 21:00:37 -0400
It has larger impact, but it's the US government that's doing the deed.
The USG is what needs feedback.

It's not an ICANN issue.  We deal with DNS name policy and assignments
of various numbers.  How some holders use them is not our concern,
except when the use impacts the stability or security of the internet.
This does not.  It's a government and it's agents and courts applying
laws to its corporations and people. They are not (at least under what
we know of this program) launching denial of service attacks, attacking
the network infrastructure, or interfering with the completion of
connections to the intended host(s).

That doesn't mean I approve.  But the right forum is not ICANN. It may
be the UN, communicating with congress, the ACLU and international human
rights/privacy rights groups.

That many members share concerns about this issue doesn't make it an
ICANN issue.  Any more than the the fact that a U.S. school board's
members' concern about factory conditions in, say, bangalore means that
the school board is empowered to act on them.  They might as individuals
choose to join or form another group for that.  But the board has a
charter and members are appointed/elected for a purpose.

Likewise, our charter is not to right or take positions on all the
wrongs of the world.  Just those of ICANN - which is mission enough!

If we dilute that, we will lose effectiveness for our core mission.  If
we try to force ICANN into a larger role, the unintended consequences
will make us very, very sorry.

I'm not saying that the issue is unimportant.  Just that this is not the
forum for it.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.