From:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Post <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2016 11:28:28 -0400
costs of delay (below), I think that nobody on
this list (or anywhere else) has the faintest
idea what US government policy (Pres + House +
Senate) towards the transition (or anything else)
might look like a year or two from now.  I
certainly agree that delay would be a big
mistake, if the goal is to achieve the transition at all costs.

But that's not the goal, in my eyes. The goal is
to create an institution that can manage these
resources in a reasonable way, for the next
[many] years.  The CCWG reached a consensus on
the structure of an institution that it believes
will do that - although to be fair, it's actually
just a sketch of that institution, with critical
pieces yet to be fleshed out and added into the mix.

I don't pretend to understand anything about
politics, but I do know that this is not only a
"political" problem, it's also an "engineering"
problem - corporate engineering.  The CCWG has
designed a machine that it believes will be able
to check its own excesses, and that will operate
transparently, taking the views of all interested
communities into account in making its decisions.
It's astonishingly complicated, and it has never
been tried before.  IT MIGHT WORK VERY WELL - I'm
not disputing that, perhaps requiring only
tweaking here and there, as Avri suggested.

But it might not.  Astonishingly complicated
machines have an annoying habit of not
functioning as advertised - at least, not at
first, before they have been put through their
paces.  It seems to me that it is ordinary
prudence, to demand proof that the whole new
infrastructure works before signing off on
it.  The consequences if this machine fails could be very severe.

All I'm suggesting is that it would hardly seem
unreasonable, to me, if the USG took the position
that while it is signing off on the transition,
it is doing so subject to a kind of probationary
period that will enable us all to understand
better whether and how it actually works. Perhaps
other countries will view that as a terribly
untrustworthy move, perhaps they won't - I do
think it helps that it is, fundamentally, quite a reasonable position to take.

David

Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>May I add two questions:
>
>1. If the IANA Transition is delayed what do you
>expect from governments in the UNCSTD Working
>Group on Enhanced Cooperation which will start
>in September 2016 and will deliver a report to
>the UN General Assembly (via CSTD and ECOSOC) in fall 2017?
>
>2. If the IANA Transition is delayed what do you
>expect from the next ITU Plenipot scheduled for fall 2018 in Dubai?

David G. Post
Volokh Conspiracy Blog http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
Book (ISO Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
Music https://soundcloud.com/davidpost-1/sets