From:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tapani Tarvainen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Nov 2016 19:14:49 +0200
Reading through the thread, it looks like we've got at least rough
consensus on the following. I'm very tired so I may have missed
something, proofreading welcome, but I'm going to ignore significant
changes unless argued for by several people (and even then probably
will simply drop such questions as too difficult for us to agree on).
Likewise the order, not everybody will be happy with it, but that'd be
the case with any order.

I'm going to declare this final before noon tomorrow, so comments
quickly please.

1. Does the Board continue to agree with Fadi Chehade's position of
Summer 2015 that ICANN does not police content,
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann-is-not-the-internet-content-police
(published by Alan Grogan, ICANN's Chief Contract Compliance Officer)?
Does the Board share our concerns that arrangements like the
MPAA-Donuts agreement are deeply inappropriate for the Domain Name
System?

2. In the Whois Complaint process, anonymous people can make
complaints that he data is inaccurate and in some cases cause trouble
for innocent registrants. Why doesn't ICANN ever investigate whether
these allegations are intended to harass or intimidate registrants or
are made for anti-competitive reasons?

3. How does the Board expect the the new complaint system to work when
it puts ICANN legal, whose job is to protect the corporation from
complainers whether they are right or wrong, in charge of managing
complaints? Has the Board considered how it affects the independence
of the Ombudsman? As an example of our concerns, why there were no
repercussions for the abuses of TLD evaluation procedures in the Dot
Registry case?

4. Following up on the discussion between the NCSG and the Board at
the Marrakech meeting (ICANN55), we are very interested to hear what
steps the Board is taking in relation to human rights in addition to
the ongoing accountability processes. What efforts have been made and
what activities are planned in relation to human rights and ICANN's
policy processes as well as ICANN the organization?

--
Tapani Tarvainen