From:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Gross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:55:39 -0700
As usual, the ICANN policy staff did not incorporate a single
suggestion from NCUC in its recent Bylaws revision where we submitted
public comments.  They still want to give the Commercial
Constituencies 4 delegates to the Nominating Committee and
Noncommercial Users are only allowed a single delegate.   Favoritism
of commercial users is still baked into ICANN's structure in most
places.

They didn't even incorporate a very small, minor, text change that we
requested that only would have recognized that there are "other"
impacts in this world to consider besides only "financial" impacts in
policy development.  this was our request:

"We believe in the "collection of information" for a Constituency
Statement that (iv) should be amended to include "other" impacts
besides financial impacts on a constituency. Since NCUC is not
working for an economic interest, most often our concerns are not
"financial impacts" so a constituency statement should be allowed to
consider those other impacts and not discouraged from considering
non- financial impacts as the proposed text implies. Therefore, we
propose 7d. (iv) be re-written as: "An analysis of how the issue
would affect the constituency or Stakeholder Group, including any
financial or other impact on the constituency or Stakeholder Group;".

But unfortunately, comments from noncommercial users don't make their
way into ICANN policy staff documents.   It seems the only reason to
send in comments to ICANN at this point is so that others can see the
extent to which ICANN policy staff follows its own agenda.

Here are the staff's revised bylaws:
   http://www.icann.org/en/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-27aug09.pdf

Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: [log in to unmask]