From:
Michael Oghia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Oghia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:03:14 +0100
Hi everyone,

For those that don't know me, I am a member of the Middle East and
Adjoining Countries Special Working Group (MEAC-SWG), and I want to provide
some context.

The two main staff members engaged in this process are Baher Esmat and Fahd
Batayneh. Both are incredibly dedicated to our region (Middle East and
Adjoining Countries) and work very hard with us (the MEAC-SWG). The working
group is also quite small, and most of us working in it know each other.
It's a very collegial, inclusive, and professional environment, and it
includes respected professionals such as Walid Al-Saqaf, Manal Ismail, and
Farzaneh.

To be clear -- at least from my perspective and not speaking about other
staff members -- neither Fahd nor Baher have ever done or said anything to
exclude non-commercial users. Fahd is the ICANN staff member that is tasked
with preparing the document, but all of the text (excluding what was
included in the 2016-2020 ICANN strategy document) was written by the
individual members of the MEAC-SWG and (copy) edited by me. The exclusion
of non-commercial users was not intentional but an oversight that Farzaneh
noticed and addressed. I strongly supported her suggestion (such as this
document), and will also advocate for it.

Also, the document is not perfect, but that's why comment periods exist. If
anyone does not like how it is currently written, feel free to suggest
edits.

Best,
-Michael

Michael J. Oghia