From:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2016 08:14:21 -0400
Hi Farzi,

 Thanks so much for doing this. Clearly this is an issue directly related
to free speech on the domain name line and I certainly support the NCSG
submitting a public comment on this matter. I also agree with your approach
to the issue,  except for one small part. You write:

 ---

  REGISTRATION POLICY

 This policy requires the registry to make sure that the registrant has
taken measures to ensure against misrepresenting or falsely implying that
the registrant or its business is affiliated with the government.
 We find this acceptable, however misrepresentation should be interpreted
narrowly. But the obligation that the registrant not to falsely imply that
it is affiliated with the government is a sound approach which we support.

 ---

 I don't want registry's to turn into content police or judges of the
intent of registrants. I recognise there is a big push in ICANN, from the
IPC, the GAC and others, to turn Registries into de facto enforcement
bodies. I think this is something we should resist at any and every
opportunity. What are the criteria to be used concerning government
affiliation? Is this something we really want Registries to decide?

 With that small exception I fully endorse this comment. I look forward to
hearing what others have to say.

 Thanks again, Frazi, for your hard work on this.

 Kind Regards,

 Ed Morris