From:
Michael Oghia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Oghia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2016 19:35:41 +0200
From CircleID -
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20161028_update_on_cargo_ship_fire_destroying_equipment_bound_for_icann57/

*ICANN Update on Cargo Ship Fire that Destroyed Equipment Bound for ICANN57*

*ICANN has confirmed that all equipment destroyed in the fire are replaced
and now in Hyderabad. *On September 1, a fire caused by an explosion aboard
the cargo ship docked in Hamburg, Germany which contained all of ICANN's
technical equipment being transshipped from Helsinki to Hyderabad for the
upcoming ICANN57 meetings next week.
Ashwin Rangan, ICANN SVP Engineering & CIO writes: "Having catalogued
exactly what was in each crate, we enacted two plans: a) a short-term plan
to purchase replacement equipment so ICANN57 experiences no disruption; and
b) a longer-term plan to work with insurance brokers (under maritime law)
to recover the 'stuck' 20-foot container. This took a lot of work in a
short amount of time, given the sophistication of our gear, which in total
cost ICANN about $700,000 USD of unplanned expenses (the equipment itself
plus shipping and other costs)."