From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2014 14:16:59 -0500
NCSG Colleagues,

As one who started with serious reservations about the NETmundial
initiative (NMI), based in large measure on the involvement of the World
Economic Form (WEF), but having moved to somewhere between neutral and
mild support for the NMI, I have always argued for engagement in any NMI
dialogue as it unfolds, but had reservations about the WEF-NMI
connection. The situation has changed.

According to Fadi’s comments in New York (see:
http://youtu.be/huI6PucrL7c ) the WEF is no longer involved in NMI, but
is pursuing its own WEF events, linked initial to European Internet
privacy concerns. Now NMI is apparently completely independent of WEF. I
raise this because the Internet Governance Civil Society Coordination
Group (CSCG) letter to the NMI Transitional Council, as currently
written seems not to reflect this change in engagement in the NMI.

Also, this change in the team working on the roll out of the NMI may
change when and how some Civil Society groups wish to be engaged, or not
engaged. Having said that it is important to register that there is
still considerable doubt about the necessity, or the desirability, of
such an additional initiative at this time. There is also considerable
uncertainty about whether or not it will actually take flight.

Sam L.