From:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2014 14:33:41 -0400
Thanks for the link (to a web site registered to Microsoft's law firm)
Milton. Court documents have yet to been posted on Pacer.

The fact that Microsoft was granted an ex parte TRO in this case against
Vitalwerks is absolutely disgraceful. It could be argued that Microsoft
might be  entitled to a restraining order, even ex parte,  against the
unnamed defendants, but Vitalwerks itself could easily have been served and
given at least some chance to respond, under a gag order if necessary, to
the emergency orders requested.

Microsoft's complaint is of the  "throw the kitchen sink and hope something
sticks" variety. That's not to say there are not some legitimate charges
here, there are, but whether Microsoft has standing to bring them and
whether the defendants are correctly identified and joined is questionable.

The innocent parties claiming to be injured today might be interested in
this representation by Microsoft: "Vitalwerks...derives no known income from
this free service. Thus, there is no hardship on Defendants or any 3rd
party" in granting the TRO.

Tell that to the folks who couldn't connect today.

There is also a gem for our WHOIS privacy advocates. In it's negligence
claim against Vitalwerks Microsoft claims that Vitalwerks, as best practice,
 should be required to collect and verify the name, address, telephone
number and IP address of all it's customers and make it publicly available
in a searchable database (page 20 of Microsoft's brief supporting it's
Emergency TRO request). Delightful. Can't wait to see Microsoft bring the
same charge against Facebook.

In it's trademark claims, and much of Microsoft's standing is derived from
it's position as a TM rights holder,  Microsoft assumes TM rights in
subdomain names are the same as legal rights granted marks holders in domain
names under the ACSA. Big assumption not currently universally supported in
law.

We do need to follow this case. If Microsoft achieves victory in the manner
requested on the basis argued we're looking at this case expanding TM rights
and further eroding privacy, at least in the United States. Not to mention
the diminution of due process, the horrid mixture of public and private law
and other such folly...