From:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amr Elsadr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:30:50 +0200
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the NCUC, so I will try to very briefly introduce myself.  My
name is Amr Elsadr, and I am an Egyptian national.  My academic background
is medical, however, I have not practiced clinical medicine since my year as
an intern.  Instead I have sought a career in providing service to the
healthcare sector using ICT tools and am now the COO of a tele-medicine
service provider based in Cairo.  Having said that, I have to be very clear
that when engaging in discussions with the ICANN community (and Internet
governance in general), I wear a completely different hat, and that is as a
volunteer with the Cyber Peace Initiative's youth empowerment program using
ICT, Net-Aman.  I am one of the founding members of this initiative, and if
you are interested in learning more about it, you can check our website at
http://www.cyberpeaceinitiative.org.

Please excuse the fact that I am still pretty much a novice in all the
discussions and debates going back and forth, but the issue of forming a
NPOC as part of the NCSG is the first I have come across as a member on this
mailing list, and you will find that I have more questions than anything
else for the time being.

For one thing, the criteria for membership of the NCUC are pretty obvious,
but I am still perplexed on what makes an organization eligible to join the
NCSG at large (least of all, forming a new constituency under the NCSG all
together).  I have been looking for membership criteria since this string of
emails has started, and found the content Avri pointed out below a few days
ago, but unless I'm missing something, the very top of the page clearly
states that although 70% of the NCSG approved (an earlier??) version of this
charter, The NCSG approved charter was not accepted by the ICANN Board
Structural Improvement Committee.  Does that mean that the eligibility and
ineligibility of organizations as described under section 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 of
that charter stands or not?  If not, is there some other reference?

Dan Krimm made an excellent point earlier regarding the difference between
NPOs and noncommercial organizations.  Being a not-for-profit organization
and being a noncommercial organization are two completely different things
as far as I can tell as well.  Commerce is defined as the buying and selling
of commodities according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.  Commodities
could be either products and goods or services.  Hospitals and universities
are two examples that I can think of at the top of my head that, more often
than not, provide services such as the provision of education and healthcare
at a cost, yet not with the goal of creating profit.  My question is,
shouldn't there be a clear consensus on what makes an organization eligible
of being a member of a constituency under the NCSG?  That has been spelled
out pretty clearly in the link Avri provided under section 2, but again I
ask, do these criteria stand?  If not, someone please provide reference for
some that do.  If these rules for eligibility are valid, then I believe that
the NPOC Petition and Charter will need to be revised, and there should be a
good reason why the organizations involved in trying to create this
constituency would rather do so rather than be a part of the NCUC (I find
myself making assumptions of what the operational impacts ICANN policies
will have on the member organizations of the NPOC since I don't know what
these organizations are).  If they do not stand, then maybe that is the
discussion that should be taking place in order to keep this stakeholder
group truly free of members engaged in commerce.

Thanks.

Amr Elsadr M.D.
Chief Operating Officer
Tele-Med International