From:
Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:55:28 -0400
Speaking more broadly than simply the ICANN accountability process, I
think some expertise is missing at ICANN.  Their response lately has
been to hire folks to fill that gap.  I am thinking of the following
areas where I do not frankly see great expertise or concentrated focus
on deliverables either in the staff or stakeholders:

  * holistic risk management ( I am not talking about security, or
    business risk)
  * privacy implementation
  * values and ethics
  * public policy
  * accountability and external audit and review

I think green papers are great, but it is how we get there that counts.
If the board selects a bunch of experts to do a green paper, the same
way they selected a bunch of experts to do the Whois replacement (ie.
the Experts Working Group on directory services for the new gTLDs, on
which I just served) I am not sure we gain much in transparency and
participation.  So we need a process whereby the multistakeholder
*community* decides we need help, and either does an open call for
potential responders, or reaches agreement in the working group.  This
basic accountability and adherence to a multi-stakeholder model appears
to be falling apart on various fronts.
On a more cheerful note, it is very heartening that the stakeholder
groups are working together more, and not at cross purposes.  I am
confident, given the tremendous and varied expertise across the groups,
that a cross-community working group could come up with proposals for
expert papers on the matters I listed above.  We of course would have to
weigh in to make sure the experts were not weighted in one direction or
the other, but it could work.  I agree whole heartedly with your
conclusion, Seun, the members can do it better.
Cheers
Stephanie Perrin