From:
Tamir Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamir Israel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2012 18:23:13 -0400
Speaking as someone who does not regularly comment here (but does
regularly follow discussions), I just wanted to say that I personally
find discussions here neither 'spammy' nor 'unprofessional'.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for a group whose mandate is to
represent non-commercial interests to discuss what is arguably at least
an incident of misuse (or at the least over-reaching use) of trademark.
The term 'bully' is not, in my opinion, used lightly or frivolously in
this context.

Putting aside the actual legal merits of USOC's actual claim here for a
second and focusing on IP bullying more broadly as a commercial
interest, we're discussing scenarios where one party makes claims that
are dubious on legal grounds, but has succeeded purely on the basis that
the threatened party lacks the resources (or commercial motivation) to
fight in court. While the knitting scenario in particular did not
involve the use of a domain name, this is certainly a salient issue to
ICANN and central to the UDRP, etc., so I'm not sure how such
discussions are out of place here.

FYI -- I do find this list generates a lot of traffic. For what it's
worth, I personally use a custom filter that diverts all into one folder
and check in periodically so it does not interfere with my review of day
to day emails. I've done this for many lists I'm on, and it only takes a
minute or two to set up.

Best,
Tamir

--

Tamir Israel
Staff Lawyer

Samuelson-Glushko Canadian Internet Policy & Public Interest Clinic
University of Ottawa, Faculty of Law, CML Section
57 Louis Pasteur Street
Ottawa, ON, K1N 6N5
Tel: (613) 562-5800 ext. 2914
Fax: (613) 562-5417

*Do you really need to print this email? / Est-ce nécessaire d’imprimer
ce courriel?*