From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 17:06:06 +0000
NCSG colleagues,

As the currently proposed NCSG candidate for ICANN Board Seat #14 I have
maintained a discrete silence while the process was underway. I of course
have followed closely the events surrounding the process and its current
stalled state. I have also responded to questions from the commercial
stakeholders, in writing, in teleconference calls, and in meetings in
Washington D.C., at my own expense.

I have agreed to run for the seat on the simple premise that my skills and
experience will be an asset for the tsunami of issues that will confront
the ICANN board over the next several years, and I remain a candidate for
Board Seat #14. The nature of some of the questions put on the table by the
commercial stakeholders reinforced my conviction that I can bring a useful
and constructive perspective and insights to Internet policy and ICANN
organizational issues confronting the Board.

However, this is not a campaign speech. It is an expression of concern
about preserving the reputation of ICANN and integrity of ICANN’s
procedures around the Board Seat #14 election. There is supposed to be a
voting procedure here. The two constituencies proposed candidates. All knew
the likely outcome of the first rounds of votes, but procedures were
followed, and votes were taken. Neither candidate was elected. I was
proposed as a substitute candidate from the NCSG. At that point the
election process stalled as various parties sought outcomes in the absence
of the next stage in the voting process.

As a candidate I of course have my hopes, but that is not the issue. If
there is no vote at this stage, and subsequent votes if necessary, the
integrity of ICANN’s Board Seat #14 process is compromised, as is that of
ICANN. As well, any occupant of Board Seat #14 will serve under a cloud of
questionable legitimacy, both within the Board and beyond ICANN.

Regardless of expectations about the outcome of the next round of voting, I
urge the constituent parties to proceed according to the ICANN procedures
set down for the process. Lastly, I remind us that the GNSO review is
underway and that a failed process for the new Board member reflects poorly
on all of our constituencies and points to the need to modify the current
structure.

Sam Lanfranco

Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
 NPOC Member from CSIH (Canada)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
 email: [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   Skype: slanfranco
 blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com (http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com)
 Phone: 613 476-0429 cell: 416-816-2852