From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2016 17:08:08 -0400
All,

I fear that here I am with my "keep it simple" hat on again. Working
with organizations that had to carve the globe up into regions, two easy
lessons learned are: One borrowed from design => Form follows Function.
Why does the organization need regions and what does the organization
intend to do on a region-by-region basis? The other is that no scheme is
perfect. Some regions will have no home (usually for geopolitical
reasons) and some will be settled in a home with less than full
consensus (for practical or geopolitical reasons). One source of
conflict is that regional designation may come with entitlements, for
example funds or votes from the designating body. Struggles over
entitlements should not dominate the core issues of why and what for.

For the remit of ICANN with regard to, for example, data retention
issues, the nature of local legal structures need not be an ICANN factor
in designating regions. When an issue such as data retention policy in
the European Community boils to the top, the stakeholder regions
self-organize to represent themselves around the issue, irrespective of
how ICANN has organized the regions. As well, appealing to a law based
scheme is problematic. For example, even figuring out where to put
Canada in a law based scheme is difficult. Parts of Canadian law come
from the English (and Scots) common law system*. *Independently Quebec
retains a civil private law system. The responsibilities of public and
private law are separated and exercised exclusively by the Parliament
and the provinces respectively. Canada's engagement, as a country, in
any ICANN issue,will be determined by the nature of the issue, not by
it's ICANN regional designation. If its position is based on ICANN
conflicts with national laws, so be it. That is the issue to be addressed.

Lastly, if there were no ICANN entitlements would there still be a
regional designation issue?

Sam L.