From:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:16:12 +0100
Hi Ed

On Mar 15, 2014, at 8:31 PM, Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Bill,
>
>  by extension, the wider and more rabid politicized campaign from the US political right, which will now launch big time.
>

> It didn't take them very long.
>
> http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/15/ex-bush-admin-official-internet-giveaway-weakens-cybersecurity-opens-door-to-web-tax/
>

> What is sad is the level to which this conversation is about to sink. There are legitimate reasons to oppose American withdrawal from oversight. The fact Mr. Chehade was born in Lebanon is not one of them.

During the WCIT process the same sources made much of Toure being from Mali and having studied in the Soviet Union.  That wasn’t exactly the issue with the ITRs, either, but so it goes.

What always amazes me are the purportedly authoritative sources who are willing to say anything.  I’d never heard of the primary in this piece, Christian Whiton, so I looked him up.  He’s a Fox News regular, so one has to assume that television viewers in Murdoch’s global footprint will soon be learning things like, "we should assume ICANN would end up as part of the United Nations.  If the U.N. gains control what amounts to the directory and traffic signals of the Internet, it can impose whatever taxes it likes.  It likely would start with a tax on registering domains and expand from there.”  Presumably to ‘death panels’ and Benghazi...

All the more reason for civil society actors to clear their throats and bring a little sanity….

Bill