From:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johan Helsingius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2024 12:29:15 +0200
Hi Pedro,

> Within ISOC's Code of Conduct, we can find a very useful and interesting
> prescription:/"*Only send a message to the entire list if everyone can
> benefit from it*. Do not send “thank you” and “me too” replies to the
> full list"./

I do find it rather ironic, considering the ISOC chapter leaders lists
are flooded with congratulations every time a chapter announced election
results (something that typically occurs once a year for each chapter).

> Considering the growing number of messages that end up filling our
> mailboxes here in the NCSG community, I would kindly like to suggest,
> and check if others agree, that we also adopt this as a good practice.
> This is not the same as saying that we should not promote these nice
> gestures of recognizing others' work and good ideas, but only that these
> messages would be better directed only to the person who will surely
> appreciate them, not to the whole list.

Thank you for bringing this up - I haven't wanted to do that as I know
it can be a cultural thing, and I am culturally doubly biased (coming
from Finland that has a pretty minimalist/efficient communication
culture, and being a geek/techie). There is definitely a place for
the congratulations and welcomes, but perhaps we need separate lists
for the social stuff and for the admin/policy stuff?

On that note, it is also nice to have people say hello and where they
are from in the chat on the NCSG calls, but I think the right place
for that is in the few minutes in the beginning before the actual agenda
gets going. Once a discussion is ongoing, a sudden "Hello from
Reykjavik" can disrupt the flow of discussion.

	Julf