From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 2015 19:08:48 -0400
Carlos,

Nobody is suggesting that the result is straight forward,
The suggestion is that ICANN should examine its own role and see how it
facilitates, or obstructs, a more level playing field.
Now, although it is registered as a not-for-profit company, in some
respects it acts more like a closely held private LLC.

Sam L.

On 03/10/2015 4:46 PM, Carlos Raul Gutierrez wrote:

> Dear Sam
>
> The result is never straightforward in International Trade. I keep
> buying from Amazon, paying import duties to our Finance Ministry and
> Amazon keeps hiring people for its call center in Costa Rica. Only the
> local middleman was left out.
>
> Carlos Raúl
>
> On Oct 2, 2015 8:55 PM, "Sam Lanfranco" <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     Milton is both right, and a bit off here.
>     ICANN's barriers to entry are the cause
>     Transfer of financial resources is the result.
>     As well, this prevents building registry capacity in developing
>     regions of the globe.
>     It also reduces registry level input, from those regions, into
>     ICANN policy development.
>     Engagement requires, and builds, capacity.
>
>     Sam L
>>
>>     I still have to quibble with this “transfer of resources’ framing
>>     of the issue.
>>
>>     <deleted middle content>
>>
>>     The real problem is that incumbent operators in North America are
>>     grabbing most of this sticky market because TLD operators from
>>     the developing world are excluded by the massive entry barriers
>>     created by ICANN. It’s not transference, its entry barriers.
>>

>     --
>     ------------------------------------------------
>     "It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
>     in an unjust state" -Confucius
>     ------------------------------------------------
>     Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
>     Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
>     email:[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>    Skype: slanfranco
>     blog:http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
>     Phone:+1 613-476-0429 <tel:%2B1%20613-476-0429>  cell:+1 416-816-2852 <tel:%2B1%20416-816-2852>

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: [log in to unmask]   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852