From:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ayden Férdeline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:37:26 +0000
It’s not that I disagree with you, Arsène – because I don’t, and I actually
identified this as a barrier to participation in my earlier email – but I don’t
think it is helpful to flag this obstacle if the NCSG responds to the
consultation. My feeling is that this is a known hurdle which cannot easily be
addressed until machine translation advances to a satisfactory standard. This is
a painful reality because linguistic diversity is very important. But like it or
not we are constrained by resources and so we need a common language. English
has become the lingua franca of Internet policy; maybe it shouldn’t be, maybe
that should be Portuguese or French another tongue, but it is. So in theory we
could keep ICANN’s language services team very busy translating all the traffic
on the fellowship mailing lists and Facebook groups, helping break down barriers
to participation, but given ICANN’s website is barely translated into languages
other than English, in practice I think we need to make better use of their
time. I think it’s quite reasonable to expect that all public-facing documents
are translated by ICANN into the seven official languages. Maybe more
face-to-face sessions and working group calls should have simultaneous
interpretation too. And I would like all sessions to have live captioning. But I
respectfully submit that this is not a discussion for the renewed focus of the
Fellowship programme.
- Ayden