From:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 05:56:55 -0400
Really good work Stephanie. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephanie Perrin <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 20:47:41 -0400
Subject: NCSG response to WHOIS conflicts, another edit

Thanks, I did a fast read, picked up a couple of typos and omissions and
added a para on the fundamental absurdity of expecting registrars to put up
their hands and ask whether they are breaking the law.  I also mentioned the
affirmation of commitments, which I construe as imposing an obligation to
consider whether they are acting in the public interest and promoting
consumer trust.  Seems clear to me but you might want to check
it....probably does not match how this has been construed in the past.
cheers steph

I'm happy any time we can refer to the AoC. In our accountability work last
year we referred to the AoC multiple times in suggesting that ICANN had a
responsibility to be open and transparent. In their responses the ICANN
Board brushed off any notion the AoC represented anything approaching "hard
law" that they needed to consider. I think your approach is the correct one
- just don't expect miracles from a Board that seems to believe that "public
interest" is best defined as, in a bit of circular reasoning, whatever is in
ICANN's corporate interest (i.e. ICANN is in the public interest thus
whatever benefits ICANN itself by definition  is the public interest).

I'm not sure how others feel so I didn't make an edit, but is there a way to
get to the AoC without impugning motive to the silence of the registrars?
You may very well be right in suggesting a specific reason the registrars
haven't commented, but I'm a bit hesitant to suggest a reason ("it could be
that the registrars are keeping their heads down, a sensible position...)
without anything substantive to back it up. We certainly don't want other
groups trying to explain the reasoning for our action / inaction on specific
issues.

Thanks, again, to you and Kathy for such great work.