From:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:35:56 +0100
Milton,

An exceptional series. Should be required reading.

The question it brings to mind is why, given the lack of transparency and
accountability, anyone would want to be part of an ICANN supporting
organization. It's a question I think increasingly we all need to ask
ourselves individually.

You write about Steve Crocker. I was an academic member for about five
years of the International Trademark Association, the trademark lobby. Saw
Steve a few times at our meetings and conferences. The last one I was at
was in December 2011 in Dublin:  http://www.inta
.org/Programs/Pages/2011EUInternet_Overview.aspx . I spoke to Steve in the
lobby, he came over the night before, was leaving the following day...

What was interesting to me was that Steve didn't come on as the 'keynote'
until 5:45 Friday afternoon, a few weeks before Christmas, the last speaker
of a one day conference. He had been in the hotel, in his room,  all day.By
the time he came on to 'keynote', all but 10 to 15 of the participants had
left the conference and gone elsewhere. All of the tables in the conference
hall had been packed up and stored. Steve spoke for about 15 minutes, he
had 3 or 4 slides - one of a gas station from 1950's California - and he
left. It was the most unusual keynote address I've ever seen. He came all
the way from North America for that? Interesting. I've always wondered what
type of honoraria was involved - there may have been none, Dr. Crocker may
have just been doing free outreach..but questions.

Now I read that Steve condemns your writings without even reading them. I
hate to break it to you, Milton, but there are a few members of the
intellectual monopoly lobby that aren't big fans of yours. I've been to a
number of CC/ORG / Pirate Party gigs in my life - never saw Steve at one of
those. I admire a lot of what Dr. Crocker has accomplished in his life and
all of my interactions with him have been nothing but pleasant but...I have
questions. The man regularly shows up at trademark lobby events yet
condemns writings of a man whose positions are contrary to the lobby -
without reading them?

Questions...yet with no defined accountability and transparency mechanisms
to help me get the answers.

Great work Milton. Sad work Milton.

Ed