From:
JFC Morfin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JFC Morfin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:51:01 +0200
At 05:30 23/08/2012, Horacio T. Cadiz wrote:
>On 08/23/2012 09:44 AM, McTim wrote:
>>My org makes the DNS server software that is FOSS and has the ~80% of the
>>DNS server software market.
>
>Three cheers for BIND!  B-)

I would not qualify the "installed basis" as a "market". This kind of
teminology introduces confusion we want to clarify. It is true that
ISC sells support, and there is therefore a market for BIND paying support.

Wikipedia defines a market as: "A market is one of many varieties of
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System>systems,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institution>institutions,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedure_%28term%29>procedures,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_relation>social relations and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure>infrastructures whereby
parties engage in exchange. While parties may exchange goods and
services by <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barter>barter, most markets
rely on sellers offering their goods or services (including labor) in
exchange for <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money>money from buyers.
It can be said that a market is the process by which the prices of
goods and services are established. For a market to be competitive,
there must be more than a single buyer or seller. It has been
suggested that two people may trade, but it takes at least three
persons to have a market, so that there is competition on at least
one of its two sides."

I think we all agree to wish the DNS never be a market.

This being said, the "DNS" is a confusing term because it is at the same time:

1. a network application (layer OSI 7) that resolves domain names
into IP addresses.
2. the network protocol to dialong with the applications wich operate
that service.
3. the architecture followed to build that applications and their
related tools.
4. a DDDS (a kind of distributed dynamic database system)
5. a market organized by ICANN
6. a general digital naming syntax for the whole digital ecosystem
... etc.

jfc