From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2015 19:54:24 -0500
Amr, (& Dan)

I have been traveling so please excuse my delay in responding to you and
Dan, and thanks Lori and Klaus for your comments. I have two short
clarification comments.

1. The time slot for this Webinar was set where it is because of time
constraints and the main target participants (South East Asian Civil
Society Organizations).

2. There is a slight confusion around the term "brand protection".
Within the walls of the ICANN community the term Brand Protection (Upper
Case to stress the point) has an "in house" meaning with a long history.
It is useful to think of the underlying issue in a more generic sense,
with a focus more (in this Webinar) on the issues around "brand"
confronting South East Asian Civil Society Organizations. This in no way
ignores the issues around individual protections, including consumer
protection, human rights issues, etc. , or some of the contentious
problems between stakeholder interests.

Civil Society and Not-for-Profit organizations have their own identities
to protect and if you will recall, that was one of the initial factors
in the creation of NPOC, and NPOC is hosting this webinar. Much of the
standard list of issues around brand protection impact individuals and
organizations, but there are  two that are of particular importance to
the Civil Society Organization constituency:

  * Civil Society organization slow awareness and engagement with the
    DNS system, losing the opportunity of good domain names to others,
    both innocent registrants and cyber-squatters. This is the "you
    snooze, you lose" risk, and part of the intent of awareness raising
    within the Civil Society organization community.  I am talking about
    Civil Society organizations whose mission and vision have nothing to
    do with the Internet Ecosystem (e.g. health, poverty, gender, etc.),
    but who increasingly depend on properties of that system to pursue
    their work.
  *   South East Asia is a region particularly prone to natural
    disasters (typhoons, floods, earthquakes, etc.) and Civil Society
    organizations, and consumer/donor interests, are often the target of
    rogue Internet efforts designed to steal donations. [I recently
    participated in closing down one operation that involved an Eastern
    European effort, using crowd sourcing, and trying to scam donation
    money in the name of Ebola relief.]

Lastly, it is important, on occasion, for us (within ICANN) to remember
that our internal language will have different meanings in different
contexts. That is especially important when outreach includes awareness
raising and greater engagement in Internet ecosystem issues from "their
perspective", which for NPOC means a focus more on Civil Society at the
organization level, while not ignoring the issues of individuals in
Civil Society. This is in addition to ICANN's interest in Civil
Society's greater engagement in ICANN's multistakeholder processes.

Hope that helps clear some things up a bit.

Sam L.