From:
Edward Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Aug 2016 08:15:08 -0400
Hi everybody,

 I would like to thank Kathy Kleiman for nominating me for re-election to represent all of you on the GNSO Council, and would like to express my gratitude as well to everyone who indicated their support for the nomination. Special thanks go to Klaus Stoll and Marilia Maciel for their kind words. Marilia, if I'm only half as good as you describe I'd still be far better than I really am. Your kind words alone made the two years I'm about to complete on Council worthwhile. Thank you so much.

 I'm sorry it has taken me so long to make a decision about accepting the nomination. I love the job, love the work we do and after two years I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. It's a huge time commitment, though. Council functions as a bit of a project manager and to do the job properly you really need to be involved in multiple working groups, often in leadership roles, as welll as participate in normal Council activities.  It's a lot of work. My record was 17 calls in one week, 7 on a single day. Fifty to sixty e-mails a day are not unusual. It takes it's toll on friends, family and relationships. Before accepting Kathy's nomination  I needed to make sure it was OK with the people I'm closest to. In some ways, they make a greater sacrifice for my participation in ICANN activities than I do.  It wasn't automatic, and there were some gritted teeth,  but after a lot of discussion I think we've found a way to make it work. I therefore accept the nomination and would be honoured if you would consider returning me to Council for a final two year term.

 I look forward to submitting my candidate statement, participating in the candidate forum and answering any questions anyone may have, either on list or off list. Thanks for considering my candidacy and those of everyone else willing to volunteer to serve the NCSG in an elected capacity. Our wonderful members are what makes this all work. Thank you all for your efforts on behalf of the noncommercial community.

 Kind Regards,

 Edward Morris